Coto Makassar or South Sulawesi Traditional Beef Soup is a traditional cuisine of Makassar, South Sulawesi. Makassar Traditional Beef Soup is a soup with seasoning broth made from starch. The main content of Makassar Traditional Beef Soup is beef, then sliced and seasoned with specially blended spices. Coto served in a bowl and eaten with rice cake and “burasa”. Currently Makassar Traditional Beef Soup already spread to various regions in Indonesia, starting at street stalls to restaurants. Makassar Traditional Beef Soup is one of the menu on Garuda Indonesia domestic flights to and from Makassar.
- 1 kg beef
- 1/2 kg beef lungs (fried, separate, put into a jar)
- 2 liters of “tajin” . tajin is is the water of boiled rice
- 5 Lemon grass, bruised
- 5 Salam Leaves (Bay Leaves)
- 250 gram peanuts, roasted and mashed
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 5 cm ginger, bruised
- 1 inch galangal, bruised
Puree Spices into paste :
- 10 cloves garlic
- 8 cloves roasted candlenut
- 1 tablespoon roasted coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- Crispy shallots
- Spring Onion and Celery, finely sliced
Touco Sauce :
- Mashed 10 cloves Shallots, 5 cloves garlic, 10 briefly boiled chilies
- 100 gram tauco (fermented soybean sauce), pan with 6 tablespoons of cooking oil until cooked, add salt and palm sugar as needed. Put in the pasta we’ve just mashed.
- Boil beef with “Tajin”, lemon grass, galangal, ginger, and bay leaves. Once cooked lift, drained, diced.
- Heat oil and saute the blended ingredients until fragrant, put in broth, add fried peanuts, bring to a boil.
Serving suggestions :
- Prepare a bowl, fill with meat and lung which had been stored in jars. Sprinkle with fried onions (more is good), slices of spring onion and celery, serve with rice cake and sauce taoco.
- Serve warm.
- Add the soy sauce, salt, and lime juice if necessary.